How can I move IPHost Network Monitor from one server to another?
Q: I need to move my IPHost installation onto another computer. I would like to keep
monitoring database intact. How can I do that?
A: If you need to move registered copy of the IPHost Network Monitor from one server to another you need to unregister it on the old one first (if you didn’t yet register on old server and have a trial version installation you may skip the below steps):
1. Run the IPHost Network Monitor client on your current (old) installation and select “Enter Your Registration Key…” from the Help menu. Click the “Unregister” button:
IPHost old installation will be converted to a 2-week trial.
2. Stop the IPHost monitoring service on old installation (“Tools > Stop monitoring service”).
Moving monitoring configuration and data
You might also want to move the monitoring database with all the monitoring
settings, results, etc. Monitoring database files (NMS.FDB and all files with names starting with “nms.gbak”) are located at
"C:\ProgramData\IPHost Network Monitor\data"
if you use Windows Vista or above, or in
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\IPHost Network Monitor\data"
if you use Windows 2003 or XP.
Actual database location can be seen at any moment by running IPHost GUI client and selecting “Settings > System”. Value of “Path to nms.fdb file” is the actual database file location.
To move the database, please do the following:
- Stop IPHost monitoring service via GUI client’s “Tools > Stop monitoring service”.
- Exit the IPHost GUI client via the “File > Exit” or by pressing Alt-X
- Backup NMS.FDB and nms.gbak files located in the folders specified above.
- Install IPHost on a new server.
- Stop both IPHost monitoring service and IPHost GUI client on new server.
- Copy the database files (NMS.FDB and nms.gbak*) you backed up at step 3 above to the corresponding directory on the new server.
- Start IPHost GUI client on the new server, select “Help > Enter Your Registration Key…”, insert your license key and click “Register” (use the same license key you used on old installation).
- Start IPHost monitoring service on new server.
Now IPHost Network Monitor should start monitoring from the new server using the same configuration as on the old server.
Important: if you loaded MIB files, used SSH keys and/or custom changes to Web interface pages on old installation, make sure you have copied them all to the same location on new server.